Access to the College Green area of campus will be restricted until further notice. PennCard holders and some Penn affiliates may enter and exit Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center through the Rosengarten Undergraduate Study Center on the ground floor, and may enter and exit the Fisher Fine Arts Library through the 34th Street entrance to Meyerson Hall. See our Service Alerts for details.

Illustration from the cover of an old book.

Dr. E. B. Krumbhaar's gift to the Penn Library of approximately 1,600 volumes published by the Dutch firm of Elzevir and its branches between 1583 and 1712 includes more than 400 Leiden dissertations, most on medical and scientific subjects.

Elzevir publications were characteristically small and easily portable volumes. They fall into no single category. The collection includes classics, works of history, travel, description, philosophy, science, and imaginative literature, as well as occasional uncharacteristic large-format and heavily-illustrated treatises on (e.g.) fencing.

The Elzevir collection documents the ordinary range of seventeenth-century intellectual life.

Dr. Krumbhaar was one of the first chairs of the Penn Medical School Department of Pathology. His fund supports further acquisitions of Elzevir imprints.